This rich pizza sauce can be used on many different types of Chicago style pizza, including stuffed pizza, deep dish and tavern style. You can make this sauce 1 or 2 days before using or on the same day.
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) tomato paste (double concentrated if possible)
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon of Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of dry oregano
- 3 leaves of fresh basil
- Pour the ground tomatoes into your bowl.
- Add tomato paste.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add fresh garlic.
- Add kosher salt.
- Add dry oregano. Note: You can use fresh herbs, but because of the long bake time of the pizza, you might see some discoloration.
- Roll the leaves of basil together and “smash” in your hands to release the essential oils. Then hand tear into the sauce.
- Use a whisk and stir until the ingredients are blended. You should see the olive oil shimmer on top.
- Put it off to the side until you are ready to assemble the pizza. If you are making the pizza the next day, store the sauce in the refrigerator.
- Bowl for sauce