Chicago Pizza Sauce
This rich pizza sauce can be used on many different types of Chicago style pizza, including stuffed pizza, deep dish and tavern style. You can make this sauce 1 or 2 days before using or on the same day.
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) tomato paste (double concentrated if possible)
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon of Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of dry oregano
- 3 leaves of fresh basil
- Pour the ground tomatoes into your bowl.
- Add tomato paste.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add fresh garlic.
- Add kosher salt.
- Add dry oregano. Note: You can use fresh herbs, but because of the long bake time of the pizza, you might see some discoloration.
- Roll the leaves of basil together and “smash” in your hands to release the essential oils. Then hand tear into the sauce.
- Use a whisk and stir until the ingredients are blended. You should see the olive oil shimmer on top.
- Put it off to the side until you are ready to assemble the pizza. If you are making the pizza the next day, store the sauce in the refrigerator.
- Bowl for sauce